Saturday, July 15, 2017

A Memorial and A Look Around

So, I'm back. I've been thinking of you for a while now, wondering what you are watching, wondering if you are watching what I'm watching. I'm wondering if now is really the time for yet another television blog. But I just spent a weekend celebrating the life of one who died too young, a writer, a man of many passions, a great husband and father, a brilliant friend. I have no idea if Tudor ever read my blog, and it's okay if he didn't. But this post is dedicated to you man. 

Scroll down for a picture of Tudor.

I don't plan to post more often than one time per week. I will eventually return to the Buffy Rewatch, but it will be revamped. I didn't enjoy writing the recaps and I don't think that people enjoyed reading them.  I'll probably still add obituaries, because when an actor I love dies, it hurts. And I'll try to be timely with my posts about shows. Oh, and I will also have to write an update on my relationship with spoilers. Spoiler alert: it's complicated.

Since I last posted regularly, a television executive declared this to be the time of peak television. And it is certainly true. How ironic for me that there is so much terrific television out there, and I get to watch about an hour a day. No binge watching for me. Unless I'm sick. It's hard to keep up, and even harder to watch shows I missed when they first aired. And streaming television makes it even harder to keep up. I just can't.

Here's a few shows what I've been watching. This list is in no particular order. Curious to see what's on you've been watching!

Orange is the New Black

Taystee Washington is one of the greatest characters ever.
This series follows women in a federal prison that was taken over by private company. The show excels in creating and portraying the many types of women who might find themselves in prison. The plots may be overstretched at times, but I don't care. There's Red, Poussey (RIP), Suzanne, Sophia, Gloria, Nicki, and most specially Taystee. I love them all dearly, and I love watching them. I'll never stop. No matter how long it airs.

Orphan Black

One actress, many roles. How does she do it?

Tatiana Maslany is the best actress of her generation. There, I've said it. No one beats her. In Orphan Black, Maslany plays a number of young women who discover they are clones. Being clones, of course, means that they all look like her. But despite that, these women all so clearly have their own personalities. I still do not see how the same actress who plays hothead Sarah Manning also plays tightly wound Alison Hendrix. And all hail to Felix, as well, the best little brother ever, although I have to fault the show for not giving him enough of his own storyline.

Sense8

Capheus, Wolfgang, Nomi, Sun, Riley, Kala, Lito, and Will
Sense8 is the brainchild of the Wachowski siblings and J. Michael Straczynski, and depicts eight persons around the globe who, thanks to Daryl Hannah, are psychically connected. Yes, the orgies and the karaokes are fun, and the fight scenes are amazing, but the show wouldn't work without great characterization and acting. You would think that with eight main characters, there would be one or two that I just wouldn't love as much as others, and at first that was true. But the show didn't leave it alone, and managed to show aspects of each. I love them all. This was an extremely expensive show to produce, as they filmed in the location of each character. I was a little surprised when the show was renewed for a second season, but I was still devastated when it was canceled after the second. I wasn't alone, and after a protracted plea from fans, we were granted a two hour movie to wrap up the loose ends. I hope that Lito tells Hernando and Daniela about the sensates (they really deserve to know), and that we figure out where Jonas stands. But most importantly, #freeWolfgang.

Game of Thrones

Jon Snow and hair.
I've written about Game of Thrones prior to my disappearance from the blogging stage, but it's coming back and it dominates. If you read anything about television, you will see article upon article about the show, with teasers, pictures, and theories galore.  Apparently no one can talk about anything else these days. It is with Game of Thrones that my relationship with spoilers became even more complicated, as the Red Wedding was spoiled for me. Oops. I've never read the books, and, despite my love for fantasy, I doubt I ever will. But that's okay, because I have the series, and it is worthy of every accolade it has received. Spoiler alert - if you love a character, they'll probably die. And nothing is fair. Ever. The show has thirteen episodes left to show us who wins the Iron Throne and who's left when the Night's King crosses the Wall. I have no idea how they'll do it, but I know I'll be enjoying it. Game of Thrones returns tomorrow, so I'm sure I'll be writing a bit about it.

Other shows I'm sure I'll write about at some time: Person of Interest, Preacher, Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul, Transparent, Man in the High Castle, Fargo, Stranger Things, Legion, Big Little Lies, The Americans, The Handmaid's Tale, Outlander, Search Party, Marvel's Agents of Shield, Black Mirror, The 100 and many more I'm sure I'm forgetting. And that doesn't even include the list of shows on my wish list!

Star Trek Voyager Fan Alert: Up until now, Kate Mulgrew would be best known for her role as the first female captain on Star Trek. And while that particular first will never change, I suspect she will be most famous outside of genre nerds like myself for her role as Red in Orange is the New Black.

His hair is back! 

Lost Fan Alert: I'll not lie. Naveen Andrews is one of the reasons why I started watching Sense8 in the first place. I hope that we find out if Jonas Maliki is a good guy, just because I really love Mr. Andrews.

Black Mirror Fan Alert: Tuppence Middleton plays Riley Blue in Sense8, while Jerome Flynn plays the sell-sword Bronn in Game of Thrones; both had memorable roles in different episodes of Black Mirror.

Here is a picture of Tudor.




No comments:

Post a Comment